About the Society
Ledbury and District Civic Society’s aims are to:
- raise interest in Ledbury and its surroundings
- promote high standards of planning and architecture
- secure the preservation, protection and improvement of features of historic, natural and public interest in Ledbury and the surrounding areas.
We achieve our aims in lots of ways. These include:
- providing informed opinions to the Town and County Councils on planning applications, local plans and traffic matters and attending planning meetings and local inquiries.
- offering prizes to local schools for pupils’ projects on Ledbury-related subjects to encourage the interest of younger people who are, after all, the future of our town.
- showing visiting groups around Ledbury and sharing our knowledge with them.
- supporting projects that will enrich the heritage of Ledbury and its surroundings such as the restoration of the St Katherine’s complex, The Master’s House and the Old Cottage Hospital.
- supporting local events such as Ledbury in Bloom and the Ledbury Poetry Festival.
- being the lead partner in the Ledbury Places project.
We run three buildings: Butcher Row House Museum, Burgage Hall and Ledbury Heritage Centre. Burgage Hall and the upstairs meeting room of Ledbury Heritage Centre can both be hired by members and non-members. We use proceeds from sales at the museum shop and from hiring Burgage Hall and the upstairs meeting room of Ledbury Heritage Centre to fund our charitable work.
We were formed in 1973 as a civic society. We became the Ledbury and District Society Trust Ltd, a charitable trust, in 1977. Our status as a charitable trust gives us lots of tax benefits and helps us devote as much of our income as possible to our causes. This is particularly important because we have no day-to-day funding from local or central government.
Find out more about the Society
- How to join the Society
- Ledbury Letter, our members’ newsletter
- Our achievements
- Our education programme
- Our officers.
If you would like to know more about our past, you can download a history of the Ledbury and District Civic Society from 1973 to 2001.